Followers

INSPIRED by Norman Borlaug

Wordle: Norman Borlaug

Friday, September 20, 2013

Fantastic Friday Field Trip and Harvest Fest Weekend!

5B,
What an INSPIRING DAY we had last Friday.  I have to say I am overly impressed with your interest and excitement you showed each of the presenters.  Look at the list below of all that you said you learned (and much more...but I had to stop you):

I learned that Norman Borlaug saved at least 2 billion people from hunger.
I learned Norman had 2 sisters.
I learned that Norman didn't have faucets like we do today.
I learned that Norman didn't have indoor plumbing or phones like today.
I learned that Norman was the last one to take a bath on Saturday nights.
I learned that Norman Borlaug's nickname is Norm. 
I learned that Norman Borlaug went to a one room school house for 8 years.
I learned that in Norman Borlaug's one room school house, the younger kids sat in front while the older kids sat in back.
I learned that Norman almost died in a snow storm but his cousin, Sina, saved him.
I learned Norman's sisters had to get the eggs from the chickens as chores.
I learned Norman and his dad had to do all outdoors work and the mom and sisters did most of the indoor work.
I learned Norman had to get the mail everyday that was miles from his home.
I learned that 25,000 people die everyday from starvation.  16,000 of them are kids.
I learned about Norman's life and that Sundays were church day,  Horses had to be ready.
I learned that when 1914, there were 1,600,000,000 people in the world, and by the year 2050, there will be 9,000,000,000 people. 
I learned Norman Borlaug used to play hide and seek with his sisters in their cornfields. 
I learned Norman was born in 1914.
I learned that Norman brought baseball to Mexico.
I learned that Norman Borlaug introduced wrestling to Minnesota high schools.
I learned that Norman Borlaug connected the Cresco High School wrestling coach to the U of M.
I learned that Norman Borlaug's ashes were spread among the many places he impacted people's lives.
I learned that you do NOT want to be the direct path to the ground when working with electricity.
I learned that you need to call Iowa One to check before digging underground for wires.
I learned that entomology is the study of bugs.
I learned that arthropods have exoskeletons.
I learned that crabs, shrimp and lobsters are a lot like insects.
I learned that energy can come from sugars in foods and used through your body to make something move.
I learned that it's ok to be selfish if you are trying to help others in the same plan.
I learned that Norman Borlaug is the Father of the Green Revolution.

I learned how to magically turn a monster-garbage cookie into fire.

I took so many pictures that there's not enough room for them in one spot. I'll share the pictures on Monday morning as we finish up writing our thank you letter and finished Wordle you created Friday before you left.  It turned out great!  You can see it above this post:)  I hope you liked how the colors turned out - the ones YOU chose:)

Whatever you ended up doing this weekend, whether it was the football game on Friday (I saw some of you!), the Harvest Fest events, staying at relatives or just hanging out at home.  It seems the weekends just fly by.

Heads-Up for the Week
Monday:  Meet for partner projects with Connecticut classmates, Band Meeting @6:30 p.m.
Tuesday:  Last MISIC test - Reading!  Can bring healthy snack
Wednesday:  3-hour out!

**Also, we'll chat about the yellow note that was in your boxes for a Book-It Kick Off on Tuesday, October 1!  Have your parents mark their calendars.  We'll invite them in from 2:40 - 3:10 to our classroom.  This should give them a little time to arrange schedules to maybe make it work:)

See you soon!

I'll now you checked the blog if you take out a thin colored marker from your cubbies and have it ready at your "home."  I'll go over the new job people (sorry Sawyer... your pledge is done...), and then tell you what to do with the marker!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your comments...